St Nikolaas’ Home for Burgher ladies was officially opened on 22 August 1951 on land that was gifted for the project by Dr. R.L. Spittel. Presently, there are 40 residents and a staff of nine headed by a matron and an assistant matron. The home consists of three dormitories, 13 small single rooms and 13 large single rooms. In 2002, a medical wing was added to the Home courtesy of the Netherlands Embassy who funded the project.
The atmosphere at the Home combines tranquillity and companionship. Cards and Thyam Chonal are the most popular activities among the ladies and sing-a-longs to the accompaniment of a piano take place most evenings. It is not all confined to indoors however and the Home’s lush neat garden provides the ladies with an opportunity to enjoy the outdoors, be it a quiet stroll around or sitting on a bench listening to the sounds of the birds.
Visitors to the home are always well-received by the ladies who look forward to family and friends dropping in for a chat and a cup of tea.